Follow the instructions provided in this page if you incorrectly entered the wrong bank checking account routing number. Time is of the essence you must take action as soon as possible. These are some problem with bank routing number that will affect and delay your tax refund:

Bank Routing Problems

  1. Incomplete Routing Number.
  2. Invalid Routing Number.
  3. You entered a valid routing number, but now you want to change it.
  4. You optioned to get your refund through Refund Anticipation Loan (RAL) or Refund Anticipation Check (RAC).


  1. If your routing number is incomplete, the IRS will process your tax refund, if its invalid, the IRS will send you a check through the mail.
  2. If you provided an incorrect routing number, the IRS will attempt to process your refund through your bank, if the transaction fails, the IRS will mail a check to your address. You can expect delays.
  3. If you need to change the routing number because you don't want the refund to go to the routing number you provided. For example, you provided your spouse's routing number and now you changed your mind because you got into an argument.
  4. If the IRS already completed the refund transaction to bank account but the money is not deposited in the bank account, you can submit Form 3911, which is a Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund to request a trace.

For these circumstances call the IRS at 800-829-1040, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Call the IRS

Do not waste time, we are going to tell you how to proceed before you call the IRS:

  • Validate the correct bank routing number
  • Write the correct routing number on a piece of paper
  • Be sure your phone is charged at max
  • Connect a charger to your phone
  • We recommend you use a headset before you call the IRS
  • Call the IRS at 800-829-1040
  • Prepare to be on hold for a long time.
  • Be patient