Please help me find out how would you know if someone filed your child on their taxes. I have a big suspicion that my ex is claiming my son and I don't want to get in trouble with the IRS and definitely I don't want to deal with my ex right now.

Can you help me answer my question here please?

Thank you.

[ANSWER] If you believe your ex is claiming your child, you must communicate with your ex that you are the lawful care giver of the child, therefore, you will be claiming the child in your taxes. If you claim your child in your taxes and then if your ex also claims you child in his taxes, the IRS will reject his income tax return.

Be careful, if your ex files the taxes before you do, the IRS will process his tax return and they will reject yours.